Monday, December 16, 2019

Semester Reflection

       This semester was not what I was expecting it to be when I first walked into the classroom on our first day of college. My previous English classes we were assigned multiple essays as well as readings and I believe since we were poured with so many assignments to do at once I never took time into one essay to make it sound as well as flow good. However, in English 114 we were assigned 4 big assignments and multiple little assignments. With the little assignments we were asked to annotate, summarize articles, explore new readings as well as review our peers work. It is important to be able to work with your classmates as well as being able to critique each other’s work. In the end it is only beneficial to you as well as your peers as you want everyone to become better writers. While being in this class I was taught many new strategies as well as being refreshed on new ones. With using double entries on my notebook, I have become more comfortable using the concept as I used to do it back in high school. I have always been opened to using many sources for this class, such as google docs, iLearn, Microsoft Word, blog and being a responsible student and checking my email daily to keep on track of my assignments as well as using it to communicate with my teachers. 
         With the many reading assignments that were given to us throughout the semester I really enjoyed. They varied from Tik Tok articles to the #MeToo movement and every time I read a new article there was always something new to learn. With the 4 big assignments there was so much time given to work on each of these projects that allowed us able to make it the best version of the essay possible. I believe the purpose project really allowed all of us students open up about our experiences through school and as we did peer review that also allowed us to connect with one another and know a little about each other’s past. While working on the purpose project we learned a lot more about one another, but when working on the Inquiry project I learned a lot more about myself, the background from where I come from as well as my family. Going home over Thanksgiving break and being able to interview my grandma was so nice to discover and be educated about my nana as well as learning more about my race and traditions that we continue to carry on. With the new strategies that I was taught while being in English 114 and the ones that refreshed my memory I will continue to carry on throughout my future English classes as well as my other classes as I learned not only how to become a better writer but as well as becoming a better student. 
The course I would choose to teach would be the sports seminar. I enjoy almost all sports and just the different techniques each athlete brings in order to be successful in their sport. I would want to teach the history of sports, the mentality of an athlete as well as the technique and correlation that is needed to be a successful athlete. I would do a field trip to an actual sporting event for my students to see the athletes in live action. And I would assign different articles and reading on different subjects in order to educate my students more about sports. While teaching this class I would hope to encourage my students to not necessarily be wanting to go out and become a Division 1 athlete, but I would hope to help them realize how much mentality as well as physicality is put into being an athlete. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you included photographs of your notebooks, Rebekah. I would like to audit any sports course that you teach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rebekah. I ama Pastor from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in hanging with friends. It was interesting to go through your blog post on "Semester Reflection". I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of MUMBAI A CITY WITH a great contrast where rihest of rich and the poorest ofpoor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokeneharted. WE reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. we would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. WE would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing exerience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the new year 2020. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete